Contentment, are you content? I like to think that I am a content person and really I think much of the time I am, but
I don’t really like to admit it, but sometimes I find myself in an anxious state during times of storms or trials.
To be honest, Sometimes I get too anxious when I hear news that we are about to face a bad storm.
I don’t like storms and I really do get afraid at times.
Or when I, a family member or a close friend is experiencing a trial, I just want to fix it quickly and let it be over!
I am not always content where the Lord has put me. But I can go to the Bible and let God speak to me through verses that will help me to be content.
In God’s Word, I’ve found several reminders to help me to be content:
1. Mark 4:41 . . .What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him? Yes, even the wind and the sea obey him! They are His! He is in control! What peace and contentment this can bring to one’s heart.
2. Psalms 104:3 Who layeth the beams of his chambers in the waters: who maketh the clouds his chariot: who walketh upon the wings of the wind: I love this! God can go to the depths of the sea. He can go to the heights of the clouds and walk on them and use them as His chariots or just walk on the wings of the wind! Don’t you love that? He’s everywhere. He’s with me in whatever situation I am facing. and I can trust Him at all times!
3. Psalms 46:10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth. Be Still – I have that verse displayed in my house – just be still and let God be God. I can cast all my cares on Him for He cares for me. I can give Him all my requests, thanking Him and He will let the peace of God rule in my heart. Yes, He will give peace in the midst of any storm.
4. Isaiah 55:8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. One never knows what the Lord might be doing. He has stopped wars by using storms. He may be using storms to bring others to Himself. He may be using a trial in my life in a way I never imagined. Look at Joseph, look at Daniel, Look at David! Realizing that God’s thoughts and ways are way better than my own will bring contentment to my heart.
Trapped, but content
5. Philippians 4:11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. – Well I was in the state of NC (Ha!) with lots of snow and ice and the Lord was teaching me to be content.
I was hoping to get out a little bit while he was gone; I just wanted to kill some time or maybe do some shopping to help the time to pass, but guess what?
Yes, my thoughts and my ways are not necessarily what the Lord has planned for me. I had to ask Him to help me be content.
During the storm, my children offered to come get me, but . . .
rather than have them slip and slide to my house so that I could slip and slide back to their house, I opted to stay put.
And the Lord protected me.
I was safe, my house was warm ( no power went out!) God took good care of me. I had food in my cupboard and I had all I needed and more! That, in turn, reminded me of another verse:
6. 1 Timothy 6:8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.
Ah, contentment, that is about one of the most blessed thing a person can possess! When I choose to be contented, I have a peace in my heart that definitely passes all understand. God’s ways are the best period!
I am of more value than a sparrow and He takes care of the sparrows
I was reminded that the Lord cares for the sparrows and that I am of much more value than any sparrow.
7. Matthew 10:31 Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows.
I also saw doves earlier in the day surrounding the sparrows. I was reminded of the Holy Spirit who rested upon Christ at His baptism.
How He delights in resting on us each day and guiding us through our Christian life. He can be such a powerful influence in my life if I will but ask it to be so!
As a New Year begins or as any day begins think on some of these Bible verses and remember:
9. 1 Timothy 6:6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.
10. Hebrews 13:5 . . . be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
Ah, yes, He will never leave me! He will never forsake me! That should cause anyone to be content!