This is my country!
(note: there may be affiliate links associated with this post)
This is my country, but oh what a heavy heart I have for my country! Another Patriotic holiday is approaching and I wonder how much longer God will be so merciful to us!
It is of the LORD’S mercies that we are not consumed,
because his compassions fail not.
He is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. That is why God is so merciful – He wants all to be saved. Friend, do you know Him? Do you have abundant life in Christ? One day it will be too late! Oh how we need the Lord!
Yes, this may be my country now, but it is only a temporary country that I am just passing through. I look for a city and a better country whose builder and maker is God! We will indeed receive the greatest inheritance!
Hebrews 11:10 For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.
Hebrews 11:16 But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.
Still thankful for my country!
Why am I thankful?
- I grew up basically with no fear regarding my freedom – oh how blessed I have been!
- I was free to learn and live Christian principles and worship just the way I pleased.
- My country was still fairly moral and we still had laws against immorality
- I still love my country and am thankful that God allowed me to be born and raised here. I am far more blessed than most of the world!
Today in my country
Oh how life is changing! We are fast losing our freedoms and I often wonder will I stand for truth?
- Freedom? Yes, we still have some to a certain extent, but it is going fast! Now those who are trying to live according to God’s moral standard are under attack. Just having your own opinion on morality is becoming a crime.
- I fear not so much for myself, but for my grandchildren. I would rather they have the same freedoms that I grew up with, but God has a plan and purpose and He is not dead! He is still and will always be in control.
- This can be a great age for my grandchildren if they will accept the fact that God has put them here “for such a time as this“. Yes, I will pray that our freedoms will not be entirely taken from us. I will pray that they will love God will all their heart, soul, and mind, and their neighbor as their self. I will pray that they will live for the Lord no matter what the cost, that they will always do right.
- In the end we will be the winners for:
- this world is not our home. Oh, if only I could get more of the world out of me and more of Jesus in me. How different things might be if this were true – if Christians would not love the world, would keep themselves from idols, would humble themselves and pray and ask God to show them any wicked way in them.
My country and Happiness
Can I be happy? Oh yes, I can!
Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice.
- In spite of the condition of my country, I still have the Lord. My happiness does not depend on this country and it’s condition, but in how I live for the Lord. The freedom of my joy in Him cannot be stolen.
- I have a heavy heart regarding my country, but I can and must still pray for my country, for its’ leaders, for the souls of men and for myself that I would search my heart and make sure there is no wicked way in myself. 2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
- I am still grateful for what freedoms I have in my country and for what time might still be allotted to get the gospel out. It is often true that times of persecution will cause the gospel to be spread even more.
- Changed hearts is what will change our country. Do you want change in our country? Then turn to the one and true living God with all your heart!
MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON AMERICA!
Thank you Lord for another year! May I never cease to thank you and praise you for the freedoms I have in my country and most of all for the freedom I have in Christ!